Monday, September 8, 2008

My Favorite Writing

"Almost Lover" by A Fine Frenzy
Songwriters: Sudol, Alison Loren

Your fingertips across my skin 
The palm trees swaying in the wind, images
You sang me spanish lullabies
The sweetest sadness in your eyes, clever trick

Well I'd never want to see you unhappy
i thought you'd want the same for me

[chorus]
Goodbye, my almost lover
Goodbye, my hopeless dream
I'm trying not to think about you 
Can't you just let me be?
So long my luckless romance 
My back is turned on you
Should've known you'd bring me heartache 
Almost lovers always do

We walked along a crowded street
You took my hand and danced with me
Images
And when you left you kissed my lips 
You told me you would never let me forget these images
No
 
Well I'd never want to see you unhappy 
I'd thought you'd want the same for me

[chorus]

I cannot go to the ocean 
I cannot try the streets at night 
I cannot wake up in the morning without you on my mind

So you're gone and I'm haunted 
And I bet you are just fine
Did I make it that easy to walk 
Right in and out of my life

[chorus]

Songwriting is my favorite form of writing. Not only does it require a poetic skill, it requires for the writer to consider the music and how they will blend. The words and music exist harmoniously to create a feeling that can make someone cry or make them smile remembering a memory of their own. That is what the best writing does; it touches people in many different ways. Musicians are many times overlooked in a literary aspect, but may times they are some of the best writers. Many people thing that because you don't like a style of music that that person isn't a skilled artist. However, for many artists if you remove the music and just listen to the words being spoken or simply read those words you will learn that those words have passion behind them. This is the case for this song I have chosen, "Almost Lover". A Fine Frenzy expresses heartbreak in such an eloquent manner that it connects the listener to the song. Whether it be by simply feeling sympathy for anyone who has felt that kind of sadness or reminding you of your own sadness. Many times sadness is the one emotion everyone can relate to.



No comments: